A pizza stone is a great tool to use on your grill or in the oven. It produces a home made pizza or stone oven baked product when used. But the question is, “How do I use it?”
I must admit that I was a little unaware myself when it comes to using the stone, so when a reader came to me and asked, I didn’t know what to say. Well, I did my research and after some trial and error, and using it myself, here's what I have found to work best.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR USING A PIZZA STONE
- Always preheat your stone in a cold oven or on a cold grill. This prevents the stone from cracking. In other words, don’t put a cold stone on a hot grill.
- It is best to store your pizza stone in the oven or grill. Allow it to cool with the grill when you are done cooking on it. Leaving the stone on the grill or in the oven will give you a stone oven cooking effect that will produce a more even convection within the grill/oven. However, you do not have to light the burners under the stone if leaving the stone on the grill when cooking other things or not using it.
- If/when you remove the stone from the grill, make sure to wait until it is completely cool.
- If you have to handle the stone while hot, you may need additional protection. Oven mitts may not be enough, these stones get hot and retain heat well!
- If you are not storing the stone where you cook, be sure to store it somewhere where it can remain flat and will not fall. It is actually quite fragile.
- Make your life easy. Pair the Pizza Stone with a Pizza Peel to make removing and placing food onto the stone easy. When putting the pizza onto the preheated stone, first sprinkle the peel with cornmeal before placing the dough. Then the dough will slide easily off the peel onto the stone.
- You will damage your pizza slicer or knives if cutting on the stone. Use the pizza peel to remove the food from the stone, and cut on a cutting board.
Pizza Stones are easy to maintain too. The more you use it, the more of a patina will develop, helping the Pizza Stone become slightly non-stick. Please read our article with full instructions on how to clean your Pizza Stone for even more help. Enjoying fresh pizzeria style pizza is super easy with your grill and a Napoleon Pizza Stone.