Fire Roasted Tomato and Onion
- 8 Ripe plum tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 Medium red onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp. Olive oil
- 2 tbsp. Chopped fresh curly parsley
- 2 tbsp. Fresh basil
- 3 tbsp. Grill roasted garlic
- 2 tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
- Finely chopped zest (approx. 1 tbsp.) and the juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Fresh baguette, about 16"-18" long
- ½ cup Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Preheat the grill to medium
Toss the tomatoes and red onion in the ¼ cup of oil and season with the salt and pepper. Grill until they’re lightly charred and tender, about 7-10 minutes. Keep in mind that the tomato will be done before the onion.
When they’re done, finely dice the tomatoes and onion with a very sharp knife. Combine them in a bowl with with the 3 tbsp. oil, parsley, basil, grill roasted garlic, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well, but take care not to crush the tomatoes to pulp. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Slice your baguette on the diagonal into ¾” slices. Then grill those slices for 1-2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned and crisp. Place a heaping spoonful of the tomato and onion topping onto each slice, sprinkle with parmesean and serve.
If you’re feeling really zesty, use balsamic vinegar as a topping by lightly drizzling a little over your Bruschetta.
Mix it up and throw in feta cheese instead of parmesean.