- 3 tbsp butter, preferably unsalted
- 2 cups chopped white onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup prepared yellow mustard
- ½ tsp Louisiana hot sauce (or any hot pepper sauce will do)
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes, or until soft, fragrant, and just beginning to turn golden.
Add the garlic and continue cooking for another 4 to 5 minutes. Onions should be turning light gold and garlic should not be burnt.
Stir in the remaining ingredients and reduce the heat to low.
Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Mixture should be thickened but still loose enough to use as a baste if desired. If sauce is too thick, stir in a little water to reach desired viscosity.
Sauce will keep, refrigerated, for 2 weeks. What will you use it on?