My world shattered
When I finally got my hands on this unique grilling accessory I was thrilled. I watched countless videos on how to cook on, care for, and use my Himalayan Salt Platter. I had heard that they were delicate, even if they weighed, well not literally, a ton. The instructions said that the first thing to do, once you unwrapped the package and cleaned the stainless steel topper, was to temper the salt block. Tempering ensures that your Salt Platter won’t shatter when exposed to the temperature extremes in cooking and serving. My first block shattered.
I was cocky and impatient. When tempering my Napoleon Himalayan Salt Platter, I got too hot too fast, following the minimum times and temperatures outlined in the instructions. When we heard the crash, I knew immediately what had happened. On the plus side, all of the little salt chunks are now in my Napoleon Salt Grinder with my favorite steak spices, but you don’t want to be replacing your block. So, follow the instructions outlined below to avoid disaster yourself.
Tempering your Himalayan Salt Platter
Tempering your salt platter is easy, but time-consuming. The results are well worth the effort though. Make sure that you do this in the oven or on the grill, wherever you can manage and monitor the temperature the easiest. If the weather is cold outside, the grill temperature will drop sharply. This could cause your Himalayan Salt Platter to crack. Keep this in mind if you wish to use your grill to temper it. While tempering, you may hear cracking noises, similar to charcoal. It’s when you hear a large snap, or hear things pinging around inside your oven/grill that you should be concerned.
- 1. Unwrap the Himalayan Salt Platter, wash the Stainless Steel Topper with soapy water and thoroughly dry.
- 2. Place the Himalayan Salt Platter (on the Stainless Steel Topper) into the oven or grill. Turn the appliance on to the lowest setting, around 120°F to 175°F. Allow both the oven/grill and the platter to come up to temperature and remain there for 30 to 60 minutes.
- 3. Turn the oven/grill up 50°F to 75°F and let everything come up to, then remain at temperature for 30 to 60 minutes.
- 4. Repeat this process until you reach 550°F.
- 5. Turn the oven/grill off.
- 6. Allow everything to cool to room temperature, leaving the Salt Platter in the oven/grill until cooled.
Caring for your Himalayan Salt Platter
Now that it’s safely tempered, you can use your Himalayan Salt Platter set to create delightful meals from perfectly seared scallops, delightfully seasoned potatoes, and anything else you can imagine cooking on it. For some gourmet style impressiveness or sheer deliciousness, you can also chill your salt block and serve sushi, salad, and even ice cream on your with this set. Now that you’ve used it, you need to clean it. Cleaning your Himalayan Salt Platter Set is surprisingly easy, especially because they are naturally antimicrobial.
After cooking on it:
- 1. Once cool enough to safely handle, scrape food residue off the salt with a knife, or scrubby.
- 2. Quickly rinse with hot water.
- 3. Allow to dry for 24 hours between use and cleaning.
After using to serve chilled food:
- 1. Wipe with a moist towel.
- 2. Allow to dry completely before use.
- 3. Allow to come to room temperature before heating for cooking upon.