Barbecue Baked Beans
Not just a Musical Fruit
- 2 lbs. dry navy beans, soaked overnight
in water and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, finely diced
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and diced
- 1 cup double-smoked bacon, diced
- 1 cup fancy molasses
- 1 cup prepared chili sauce
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp salt
Place beans in a large heavy pot or ovenproof crock and cover with cold water.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the beans are just tender (1 to 1½ hours).
Preheat oven to 325ºF.
Add remaining ingredients to pot and stir to combine thoroughly.
Cover and place in oven for 3 hours, stirring every 30 minutes. Beans will become very tender and fragrant.
Remove cover and cook for 1 more hour.
Store in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Reheat beans in a 325ºF oven for 45 to 60 minutes. They can also be reheated in a heavy crock set on the back of a preheated medium (350ºF) grill. Remember to stir occasionally.